Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Out of Pocket

An anonymous commenter (anon 1:58 PM) in this post wondered where I was today and if I was okay.

I'm okay. I was simply unavailable for most of the day. Thanks for asking.

I spent the day with, what for now at least I’ll refer to as a research team. They had enlisted me to help them understand the breadth and scope of the growing defense intelligence community in our midst. This involved a tour beginning this morning at National Business Park and then traveling on to Annapolis Junction, a loop around Fort Meade, Arundel Mills, Troy Hill, Columbia Town Center, Rivers Corporate Park, Fulton, Maple Lawn, Emerson Corporate Park and ending up at Savage Mill around 4:00 PM.

The stature of the local defense intelligence community just got raised up a big notch with the recent senate confirmation of General Keith Alexander as the commander of the newly created U.S. Cyber Command at Fort Meade. The economic impact from this development could potentially exceed that of BRAC which is just now beginning to ripple into the local economy.

None of my guests were from around here. One lived closer to DC, two came from Boston and one drove down from Pennsylvania. They were curious about our local culture and lifestyle. I shared my views of our schools, life in HoCo and development. At Emerson we all donned hard hats and yellow boots while our construction superintendent conducted a tour of our office project which is tailored to the specific needs of this new industry.

I left them at the Rams Head Tavern in Savage Mill where we ran into Steve Adler. They talked at length to Steve and the Rams Head manager, Gus Le Grand as well. I then drove all the way back across the county for a 5:00 o’clock appointment with Peanuts doctor.

I never made it into my office. When I got home and logged on I had fifty three emails in my work inbox, five of which were relevant.

And now, finally, I have a moment for the blog.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun!

Anonymous said...

And glad to see you're okay. Sounds like a nice tour. Did you take the Exploder or the BMW?

Anonymous said...

I keep close tabs on jobs in those areas and I see no increases. The job numbers are still declining. what's up with that? No Brac jobs, no cyber jobs. A smattering of entry level stuff, but no breadth of positions available.

Anonymous said...

I remember the last time you disappeared. Didn't return for a long time and had a health experience. Glad to see you're gallavanting the county.

wordbones said...

Anon 10:39,

We took the Explorer. The Beemer remains at Benchmark Motors awaiting a part.

Anon 6:57 AM,

I don't know what jobs numbers you are keeping tabs on but from what I see and hear there is plenty of hiring going on, particularly if you have a security clearance.

-wb

Anonymous said...

No one with a clearance is going to talk about it on the internet.

The actual jobs are just not there.

Are there contract awards going on? New agency offices opening? That is typically how jobs are generated.

But no influx of positions hiring going on. Check out the standard databases for jobs. It's pretty quiet.