Saturday, October 24, 2009

My Politics

Most blogs that are identified as political blogs tend to take a well defined ideological approach to their postings. They are typically aligned with either the Democratic Party or Republican and a few align themselves with the Libertarians.

I don’t consider myself any of the above but since winning the Mobbie for Best Political Blog, I’ve become a little more sensitized to these labels. Whenever I write something that takes a shot at a Republican, some commenter’s label me as Democrat. Whenever I write a post about growth and development other commenter’s label me as a Republican.

My politics are really quite simple. I am one of the approximately 35,000 residents of Howard County who list themselves as Independent or Unaffiliated. I also happen to be decidedly pro business and I’m more attracted to the common sense approach to politics espoused by former county executive, Chuck Ecker, who just happens to be a Republican.

I have voted for and supported members of both parties whom I believe come closest to that ideal. For example, in the last statewide elections, I voted for former Republican governor Bob Ehrlich and for current Democratic county executive Ken Ulman.

I strive to be an equal opportunity offender.


Bob O said...

I have to admit, I voted for Erhlich and Ulman, too, although, in retrospect, I wish I could withdraw the Ulman vote.

I also voted for Ron Paul in the Repub primary and Bob B. in the general election. Remember, there's never been a president named "Bob", so, hey, I felt honor bound to vote for him. I advise you to do the same: put a Bob in office!

Anonymous said...

Please do not pass yourself off as an objective party, WB. Intelligent readers aren't buying.

As was stated on an earlier thread:

..the blog host would like to present himself as unbiased. WHOA, never ever a reality. He's intensely biased, but he's inner circle Chamber biased, the most dangerous kind of bias, the bias toward power and influence.

wordbones said...

Anon 12:07 PM

The truly "intelligent readers" of this blog know that I'm not even a member of the Chamber of Commerce.

It's kind of hard to be in the inner circle of something if you're not even in the outer circle.


Anonymous said...

Do you not write a column for a pro-business paper? Seems the Chamber would be highly supportive of that sort of news outlet.

PZGURU said...

Funny - I don't quite get how you viewed sleazy rat-boy Ulman as better for business, or a more business friendly candidate, than Merdon.

I'd love to hear the rationale behind that vote.