Friday, March 20, 2009

Comment Deletion Policy

Regular readers of this blog know that I have maintained a pretty high level of tolerance for comments posted here. I can think of only one instance where I’ve deleted a comment that I thought crossed the line. On the other hand, I’ve never really established where that line is.

A few acerbic comments on this post and this post just defined that line. I must admit to waving my cursor over the delete comment button a couple of times but I resisted the temptation. Angry and overly insulting comments speak as much about the commenter as they do the comment being made. Once that profile has been established, however, continued ranting and insulting of this sort in the same post becomes boorish. A new floor for comments has now been established.

I do not seek to stifle any voice. The ability of many voices to read and comment on my writings is one of the more interesting dynamics of blogging. I don’t really mind when someone disagrees with me or challenges my assumptions. When someone takes the time to craft a creative insult I don’t get offended, I actually appreciate the effort. Schoolyard taunts, on the other hand, are the product of a lazy mind.

And finally, comments from spammers will always be deleted with relish.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you!

Anonymous said...

I am not surprised that you would take this road. And of course, you would claim that you're not stifling free speech.

Why is it ok for you to attack people with your veiled insults and innuendos? At least I have the guts to call you out directly on your double standards and your hypocritical nonsense. If you don't like it then stop being a hypocrite! It's easy. You simply treat all people equally and fairly. I'm sure you've heard of the concept that the Law is supposed to be blind. I still believe in concepts like that. Give it a try sometime, you might find it refreshing.

PZGURU said...

Censorship is the tool of the deceitful when they can not win the debate by discussing the facts.

wordbones said...

pzguru,

You are always welcome to comment here.

Your taunts and insults do nothing to further the debate and, quite frankly, they don't help your arguments much either.

-wb

PZGURU said...

The comment you deleted on the other post had nothing offensive in it whatsoever.

You just couldn't stand that I successfully showed you were wrong and you have many fallacies to your positions. I can't help it that you find image of yourself I show to you to be offensive.

You think it's ok for politicians to get paid off for favors. I don't. You called it "constituent services", I called it a different kind of service, and there was nothing offensive with the reference I made. In fact, there are many people who aptly see a great similarity between politicians and the "oldest profession" in world.

You say I taunt. That's rich coming from you. Your own posts take personal swipes at various people whose only "transgression" is that they disagree with you on an issue.

You certainly can throw a lot of dirt at others but nobody can throw it back at you?

The Big Apple said...

This blog is certainly among the top 1% of the 7.4 million that are active. Word has it from your former teachers that you were always a great thinker and writer. That said: You slipped on the slide article.

Keep up the great work.