Tuesday, May 11, 2010

45 Gigapixels

I first became aware of this 45 gigapixel photo from a post on the Two Sentz blog. It’s a panoramic view of the huge Burj Khalifa Tower development in Dubai. It is amazing how far you can zoom in and pick out the smallest details all over this massive project whose centerpiece is the tallest building in the world.

As I looked around I began to notice that, for all of this construction going on, there were very few workers in the picture. A close inspection of the building cranes revealed that most were idle.

I think they may have run into a little over building problem in Dubai.

The link to the photo is here. The video is shows a bit about how it was made.

3 comments:

Scott said...

very cool picture.. sometimes..I think I work in the wrong part of the world...

Anonymous said...

Yea, check the numbers on Dubai, you want to talk real estate bubble?

Interesting engineering went into this build--U.S. architects, btw--but when you look at the economy out there, think of one word: hubris.

gerald.d said...

Photos were taken between about 8am and 11am on a Friday morning.

Friday is everyone's day off.