Tuesday, November 03, 2009

CA Goes Begging

Delegate Liz Bobo and Senator Ed Kasemeyer are proposing to ask the State of Maryland for $250,000.00 “to be used as a grant to the Board of Directors of the Columbia Association, Inc., for the design and construction of the Symphony Woods Park, in Columbia, Md.”

Funny, I don’t recall any discussion about going begging to the state as part of the Columbia Associations plans for Symphony Woods.

The thing is, if CA had played it’s cards right and worked with General Growth instead of dickering for months over when and how they should even talk to them, they probably could have gotten GGP to kick in some funds. Of course CA wouldn’t be doing anything about Symphony Woods if GGP hadn’t focused attention on the boards failed stewardship of the park.

CA is a private homeowners association with an annual budget in excess of $60 million. This request seems wildly inappropriate in a time when the state employees are being forced to take unpaid furloughs.

7 comments:

Bob O said...

I'm the frist commentator? Woo hoo!

Yea, it seems a bit strange. Maybe CA could get some TARP money?

Okay, I really don't know the background so I should not be sarcastic, but this does seem a bit odd.

I mean, I'm ready to do my own property tax assessment so that we can furlough the guy who usually does that, thus saving the state money on his salary.

Need I say more?

Bob O said...

frist=first! Doh!

Bob O said...

I've noticed that I tend to be a comment stopper on your blog, i.e., after I comment no one else does.

Please, all you readers out there, don't let me stop you. What we know and can say together--even if we disagree--is so much more than we know as individuals. So, please comment.

And where is John Galt?

Anonymous said...

Ok, Bob O, since it seems you're more everywhere lately than you accuse we anons of being, here's a non-Bob O comment to resuscitate the comments for this post.

"Maybe CA could get some TARP money?"

Rather than wondering if CA would nonsensically get a couple hundred thousand in TARP money, (CA isn't a "troubled asset"), maybe you should check your rear view mirror for where a couple hundred MILLION worth of federal TALF loans have already gone?

"I'm ready to do my own property tax assessment"

That, too, doesn't turn out so well for some lately. But it's not the first time it's been tried.

Kind of makes $250k seem like a drop in a drop in a bucket. Or we could skip the $250k altogether and just keep the woods as the beautiful woods they are.

Bob O said...

Anon! Thanks for the shout out--I'm glad you picked up on my anonymous bashing. Thanks for the links, let me go off and read these.

And I'm all for woods...

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."

Anonymous said...

Great quote, Bob.

Anonymous said...

You guys bore me.
Just because the area is developed doesn't mean the woods will disapear. oops sorry. I mentioned the bad word, development.
The idea of getting tarp money is stupid. The feds have proven there are stings attached to government giveaways. Let me see if I understand. We pay taxes. We receive tarp money for our special projects. The tarp money has strings attached. The Tarp money comes from government employees who have no vested interest in our project. We have to comply with outsiders tarp requirements. Why don't we just find the money ourselves and control the action. There's too much government in our lives anyway. Why should we wish for more!
HH