Monday, November 30, 2009

Our Howard Brethren

Today, as I was listening to some talk radio program talking about Michaele and Tareq Salahi, I wondered whether this story was getting any play in the middle of the country. The whole party crashing affair and the resultant avalanche of news coverage seems so East Coast.

That got me wondering if there might be a sort of Bizarro World Howard County out there, in the middle of the country somewhere, where this sort of thing wouldn’t even get play on the front page, much less above the fold.

It turns out that there is another Howard County, in Indiana. And here’s the first “bizarro” part. Their county seal is almost identical to ours.

And the Salahi’s are nowhere to be found. Not on the front page at least.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bizzaro world Howard County is Fairfax. Just saying.

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure that newpaper headlines are any longer relevant when trying to ascertain what is newsworthy in any jurisdiction.
We all know the troubles that newpapers are having nowadays. Wouldn't it be more indicative to find out which television news casts are being watched? These are all national broadcasts but I'll bet someone can extract the statistical data for localities.
HH

Anonymous said...

HH, I've seen nielsen ratings overall, and cable rankings by 'region' which might be about the size of a county but crosses county lines.

I haven't seen ratings by county, though. That data is available but no one is publishing the details at that level that I've seen.

Anonymous said...

Mark my words, there is a company in Columbia which produces any rating you want. I'm sorry I can't remember the name but they know every click.
HH