Friday, June 26, 2009

iPhone Lite

This past Thursday I was invited to a “Broker Lunch” at the Patapsco Valley Office Campus over in the outer suburbs of Elkridge. The developer had invited local commercial real estate brokers to a luncheon in the nice but vacant new buildings. You might say that they have a leasing opportunity on their hands.

In addition to a great lunch of crab cakes, they gave out door prizes, one of which was an 8GB iPod touch. As it turns out, I was the lucky dog that went home with this toy.

I have lamented in the past about how much I dislike my new mobile phone. The truth is, if I the iPhone hadn’t come on the scene, I would most likely be content with my LG Voyager. But it did come on the scene and I’m not content. There is little I can do about it too because I’m a Verizon customer. Consequently, I have iPhone envy.

The iPod touch is about as close as I’m going to get to an actual iPhone for now. It isn’t a phone, it doesn’t have a camera, and you can only get on the web from a Wi-Fi hotspot.

Still, though I’m not crazy about the touch screen keyboard, it is fun to play with and it does have some of the same cool attributes of the iPhone. Most importantly, it was free.

4 comments:

Freemarket said...

I predict that your daughter will strongarm it from you!

Bob O said...

Sweet deal! A free iPod Touch, good score. Frankly, I was a Verizon customer for four years, and switched to AT&T when I bought my iPhone back in November of 2008. I've never looked back. It's the best move I've ever made, and probably the best product Apple has ever developed. I've been all over the country, and I always have coverage (granted, Verizon was pretty good).

Recently, I was done in Reston, VA, and I was able to surf the web and show some friends wedding pictures et alia on my iPhone on my friend's back deck...while he, as a Verizon customer, could not even get a connection in his own home. Ironic.

Speaking of ironic, I have a blog about the iPhone and Apple products in general at:

http://boboramacorp.blogspot.com/

if you want some insight into the iPhone experience.

BTW, I'm a long-time EC resident, and I enjoy your blog. I've recommended it to several of my neighbors, who belong to a group called "Friends of Turf Valley Road." Check it out on facebook if you'd like.

Keep up the good work, and let me know if you need any iPhone advice or information about Turf Valley and environs.

CJB said...

You are iGuy WB and it's about time you got joined the 00's. The iPhone and it's non-cell sibling put all other phones and MP3 players to shame. One hour with an Windows Mobile 6 phone and it is clear why Apple has a winner by a mile. Even hard core Apple haters love the iPhone.

I agree on the AT&T issue, my issue is not a love of Verizon, but a company plan that is hard to change when it includes many phones and multiple service dates.

Ken Oh said...

Get a headset for it (one with a mic) and Skype and it can be a cell phone, all except for the part about it needing wifi.

Also, be sure to get Pandora on it. Plug it into your stereo at home and you've got a Squeezebox, or whatever internet radio player you've heard of.