Friday, June 19, 2009

Scene This Week In...

Today is the last day of school for Howard County public schools. It seems as if our schools are the last in the region to close for the summer as most Baltimore area schools wrapped up their year last week.

No matter, for the students today marks the beginning of a long lazy summer. For the parents, it begins another phase of juggling schedules and trying to the kids constructively engaged.

I think I’d rather be in the students shoes.

To mark the occasion I found this vandalized sign on Beech wood Road in Ellicott City. I thought it was perfect for this week’s scene in Ellicott City.

A couple of years ago, I saw a sign in the parking lot of the Giant grocery store in Lynwood that said “Parking for Expectant Mothers.” At the time I thought this was a nice gesture. I had not seen this repeated in any other local shopping center until I was in the Harris Teeter parking lot in Kings Contrivance Village Center this week. This time there was more than one space set aside and “expectant mothers” had been expanded to “customers with special needs.”

I couldn’t get that out of my head. I mean, who doesn’t have special needs?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see it differently. On an icy night years ago I waited patiently for a car to exit a parking spot at the busy grocery. As I started to pull in, someone stole my parking spot.

I drove to the outer edges and excavated two little ones from the car, carrying one and holding the other's hand, trekking over slippery icy ground while we were pummelled with wet and icy precipitation.

Expectant mothers and parents with small children as well as those who are elderly and disabled can use a hand from the rest of us. Why not give it?

But then, I also see the whole age thing differently than this blogger. When I see a wrinkled face I liken it to visiting a European castle with a rich history, lots of lessons for those who'll spend time, and the presence of many interesting stories - wishing I knew what they know, wishing the walls could talk, wishing to see and hear all the details.

When youth and elderly are mixed together, it's a beautiful sight.

Walking into a room full of people and dismissing them because of their age, whether old or young is something I can't imagine doing.

Anne said...

As an expectant mother, I would probably never consider parking there. I don't consider myself having special needs most days and would prefer to park in the back like I usually do, and say to myself as I often do when I get out of the car "Thank goodness I am able-bodied and don't have to use the special needs spot, or troll the aisles until a spot opens up near the door."

On the other hand, I was quite appalled to find myself standing on a bus last month, visibly pregnant and very cranky after an uncomfortable plane flight, and not a single person offered me a seat. I felt like I had some needs that day. It's great that the store recognizes there may be a need not defined by a handicapped tag.