Sunday, February 14, 2010

Happy Valentines Day

Forgive my cynicism but I’ve always believed that Valentines Day is a little lopsided between men and women, not to mention florists.

In The Washington Post Magazine today, Gene Weingarten wrote a very funny column about sappy Valentines cards.

"Darling, as I was wandering the aisles in CVS in search of antifungal ointment, I was thinking about the depth of my love for you; but, because I am too lazy or dimwitted or emotionally anemic to come up with an original thought, I decided to spend a buck and a half for a few mawkish cliches hawked up like loogies by a failed writer who has sold his soul for a paycheck from the Humongous Greeting Card corporation, which has then subjected his work to editing by a focus group to make sure it has no inadvertent trace of juice or passion that might offend someone in the suburbs of Des Moines; conversely, it may be an attempt at humor as weak and strained as a jar of Gerber pea and pear baby food. So, here it is! I hope you like it, sweetheart! Can we have sex now?"

And just to dispel any notion that I’m totally heartless, I actually made Mama Wordbones a card this year.

She liked it too. Happy Valentines Day.

1 comments:

Eludius said...

Fortunately I found a woman who agrees that Valentine's Day is the dumbest holiday of the year. How lucky am I?!!!