Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Cold Civility

“Morning Lloyd!”

“Morning Dennis, how’re you?”

“Cold!”

I had stopped into the Lakeside Coffee Shop in Town Center this morning to grab a hot cup of coffee. I ran into Lloyd Knowles as I was bundling up in preparation for reentering the cold world. With the mecury struggling to get above thirty degrees and the wind whipping around every corner, “cold” seems to appropriately describe how I am.

 I figured if I saw Lloyd then Liz couldn’t be far behind. As if on cue, we passed each other in the building lobby.

“Morning Liz.”

“Morning Dennis, how’re you?”

“Cold!”

That was the extent of our conversation, civil and short. Some people I know are surprised that I would say anything to Lloyd and Liz or they to me. I don’t know why. Sure, I view them as the enemy camp, politically speaking and I never pass up an opportunity to skewer Liz in this blog, but that doesn’t mean I can’t be civil when we pass in public.

This is the land of civility after all, even when it’s cold outside.
blog comments powered by Disqus