Thursday, December 09, 2010

Catching Up with “The Hammer”

It’s funny how much things can change in three years. Back in October of 2007 when I wrote this post about Mona “The Hammer” Shaw, I had recently switched from Comcast to Verizon FIOS, after years of putting up with awful customer service from Comcast. Mona had achieved national fame when her frustration with Comcast customer service drove her to act of civil disobedience; she demolished a Comcast customer service reps computer with a hammer.

This past Sunday, in The Post Magazine, Neely Tucker caught back up with Mona who still “doesn't have any regrets about laying waste to her local Comcast office with said construction tool”

“Her celebrity began when Comcast couldn't provide her steady service of its Triple Play option, which combined phone, cable and Internet service. After the Shaws' many complaints, Comcast cut off service entirely. She went to the office to speak to a manager, Comcast had her wait two hours and the manager left for the day. The next Monday morning, it was hammer time. Shaw demolished the customer service rep's monitor, keyboard and telephone. While people ducked under desks and called the cops, Shaw bellowed: "Have I got your attention now?"

The funny thing is that she remains a Comcast customer.

“She has Verizon for the telephone service and Comcast for the Internet. "To tell you the truth, I have fewer problems with Comcast than I do with Verizon."

I can certainly relate to that. I wonder if she’d let me borrow that hammer
blog comments powered by Disqus