Monday, December 20, 2010

Crunch Time

I’m not ready for Christmas this year. Some years I do a good job getting the decorations up, sending cards, buying gifts and making plans well ahead of time, other years, not so much. This is definitely one of those other years.

This of course results in a heightened level of anxiety as I scramble to fill those holes in the shopping list and fill out Christmas cards while on conference calls. It also means that I’m one of those people endlessly circling the various shopping center parking lots in search of the elusive space only to be rewarded for efforts by long lines for everything.

Sigh.

Still, I try and maintain a holiday appropriate attitude. This was greatly helped by the Ravens victory against the reigning Super Bowl champs yesterday. Another fourth quarter loss would have put me in dour mood today. I partially credit my new game watching strategy. After staying up late for the Atlanta and Pittsburgh games only to be let down in the final minutes with a Ravens loss I realized I was only compounding my holiday stress levels. When they played Houston a week ago on Monday night and Houston put the game into overtime in the last minutes of regulation time, I turned off the television.

“Aren’t you going to watch the rest of the game,” Mama Wordbones asked.

“No, I’m not going to watch. If I stay up late again only to be frustrated I’ll just be mad at myself for staying up. If I don’t watch, maybe they’ll win.”


Yesterday, after blowing a big early game lead, New Orleans tied things up in the fourth quarter. I turned off the TV and left to run some errands.

They won again. I not generally superstitious but I think I might be on to something here.
blog comments powered by Disqus