Thursday, December 30, 2010

"I Like Cultural Music"


The charger on Peanuts phone has been behaving badly so today we paid a visit to the Verizon store in Snowden Square. Surprisingly, we didn’t have to wait long before a guy named Chris waited on us. Chris did a quick check and determined that indeed, the charger was toast. I asked if we could buy a replacement. The short answer was yes but it turns out he didn’t have any in stock.

I wasn’t surprised, Peanut has my old phone, the one I hated. That phone is now almost two years old which is a long time in mobile phone technology. Chris did say he could order me a charger.

“How much is it?”

“I don’t know, let me see if I can find one first.”

Chris worked away at his computer and his landline phone until he located one in the Verizon kiosk at the BJ’s store in the same shopping center.

“They have two,” he told me.

“How much is it?”

“I don’t know, probably around twenty bucks.”

We crossed over to the BJ’s store. This time our Verizon guy was Nathaniel Houston. We ended up liking Nathaniel a lot better than Chris. He quickly retrieved one of the two aforementioned chargers.

“How much is it?”

“I don’t know,” he said.

I told Nathaniel that I thought it was odd that I was having so much trouble getting a price on this item. He explained that the actual price for me was dependent on whether I was eligible for any discounts. I wasn’t. The charger was thirty one bucks.

I just couldn’t see spending thirty one bucks for a charger for a phone I’ll likely replace in another year or so. I asked Nathaniel to work with me on this. He did and we got Peanut a new phone for thirteen bucks. Of course it includes a contract extension, but that wasn’t a big deal to me.

Peanut was very pleased with this turn of events. On the way back to the car she told me that she never liked that other phone either. This was the first phone she actually got to pick out. It’s metallic blue.

Driving home she scrolled through the available ringtones. She played one called Easter Island. It was sort of a reggae tune.

“I like cultural music,” she said.

blog comments powered by Disqus