Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Baugher Fire

Yesterday, around noon, I saw a farmhouse engulfed by flames just off Montgomery Road in Ellicott City. By the time I pulled into the parking lot of the Glen Mar United Methodist Church on New Cut Road, it had been reduced to rubble. It was pouring rain and I was on my way to a meeting so I didn’t have time to find out if anyone had been hurt or how the fire started. I figured that I could check it out later on the Howard Fire blog but alas there isn’t anything posted about it…yet.

I sure hope everyone is alright. The Baugher family has run a farm stand just down the hill from this house since 1922.

Later in the day a home in the Village of Owen Brown was struck by lightning. According to this story by Luke Broadwater in the Columbia Flier “lightning struck the structure’s roof, but said the building did not catch flames.”

If I was that family I think I’d buy a lottery ticket this week.

2 comments:

brian said...

So sad. I loved getting fruit from the Baugher stand. I hope everyone is ok.

Anonymous said...

I'm not familiar with all the structures at the Baugher farm. Is it at all possible that the structure was being demolished as a training exercise with the fire departments? I was at the Y on Montgomery Rd. when this started and I didn't see or hear fire engines racing down the street.