Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Martin + Osa Out, Vera Bradley In

Martin + Osa will be closing it’s store in The Mall by July. According to this story by Sylvie Porter on abc2news.com, the men’s and women’s fashion retailer “is planning to close all 28 Martin & Osa stores nationwide including their locations in Towson Town Center, Westfield Annapolis Mall, and the Mall in Columbia.”

The bottom line is, as they say, the bottom line.

“Management for the company determined that the brand was not achieving the level of success they had hoped and that they don’t feel the brand is worth investing more money in.In fiscal year 2009, the Martin & Osa brand generated a loss after taxes of about $44 million.”

On the way in however is Vera Bradley, one of the hottest women’s retail chains in the whole U S of A. According to this story by Joanna Sullivan in the Baltimore Business Journal Vera Bradley, which sells these insanely popular flowery bags and luggage, “is opening its first Maryland store in the Mall in Columbia this spring.”

This adds a good dose of street cred to The Mall’s reputation as a fashion forward mall.

5 comments:

Brian Grogan said...

This was one of my girlfriend's favorite places for clothes. I guess we didn't go there quite enough though.

PZGURU said...

But I thought Town Center was "dying" Wordbones. I can't believe they would come to a dying city/area. Shocking.

rugby8682 said...

Shame, I really liked this store. Vera Bradley, not my thing. It all looks like it is made from old blankets.

Unknown said...

Oh yay. Flowery diaper bags. I can't wait.

Anonymous said...

I get enough of Vera Bradley through either Crabtree & Evelyn or the other Kokopelli store. Having five stores dedicated solely to purses/bags/accessories is a little excessive (Fossil, Coach, Brighton, Kokopelli, now VB.) I know! Let's put in another wireless kiosk and have the salespeople HOUND you about your service. I can't stand the mall, and I'm a woman!