Tuesday, October 20, 2009

It’s a Traffic Data Collection Device

This past June I wrote a post about an odd looking contraption I spotted at the intersection of Roundhill Road and Doncaster Drive in Ellicott City. I made a couple of attempts to find out what it was but came up empty.

Today I saw another one.
This time it was set up at the intersection of Berger Road and Gerwig Lane in Columbia. I parked the car and went over to check it out. That’s when I saw this tag on the black box at the base of it.
I’m still not sure what type of data it is supposed to collect but three months after one of these things appeared in Ellicott City the intersection changed from a two way stop to a four way stop.

Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Bob O said...

Interesting.

Smile at the camera!

Anonymous said...

Hey - I can fill you in on this.

It's by a company called Miovision, and it collects vehicle volume and classification values for a time period.

The data is used for traffic engineering / operations design decisions (like the one you mentioned - turning a 2-way to a 4-way).