Sunday, October 11, 2009

Thank you

The voting for The Mobbies ended Friday. The “unofficial results show Tales of Two Cities as the number one in the political blog category and number three in the neighborhood blog category. Official results will be made public on Wednesday.

Here are four observations about this competition:

1) Number 1 political blog?
I mean, yeah sure I write about politics but only hyper local politics. I would think one of the more dedicated political blogs like The Hedgehog Report would be a better choice but he wasn’t even nominated.

2) I personally nominated one local blog, Dinosaur Mom Chronicles, in two categories, Family and Personal. She finished 9th in the Family and 11th in Personal.

3) In my opinion this was an odd way to select top area blogs. At a minimum, it seems that the contest would have been better served by a combination of public and editorial board nominations. Besides The Hedgehog Report, there are other excellent Maryland blogs that weren’t even nominated.

4) Though he didn’t finish first in the Food category, local food blogger HowChow was in the top ten of the Best Overall Blog for most of the competition. The Mobbie website doesn’t show the “unofficial” standings for that category. I guess we’ll just have to wait until Wednesday.

I am grateful for all those who took the time for vote for this blog. I freely admit that I wanted to win something. I’ve come to accept that I do have a small competitive streak.

More news on Wednesday but for now, thank you.

5 comments:

Bob O said...

Good on ya. And, yes, you are a bit political as you express opionions about political and potentially political events in Howard Couty. For example, the lawsuits against the county on referendums and development.

Nuff said.

What I like about your blog is that you have become the aggregator of Howard County news, sort of like The HoCo Drudge Report..I'll let you comment on your point of view.

Anyway, I think it's time to get out of blogger and the google cloud, and get a REAL blog and reach a larger audience. Let me know if you need to know how to do this. We often disagree, but I think you're doing a great job.

And what about Freemarket?

sobohon said...

Congrats! I think you are more deserving than you allow.

What's wrong with Blogspot? I like it.

Innovate Your Way out said...

Congrats Dennis.

As for being like the "HoCo Drudge Report", best to stay with facts as you have. I would prefer the HoCo Huffington Post" ;-)

Anonymous said...

Congrats, and remember the expression, "all politics is hyper-local politics in which statistically few people actually participate." It's why I keep coming back :)

Mary H. said...

Nice to meet you last night, and congratulations again.

I'm trying to e-mail you the embed code for the badge for your Mobbies one. Send me a note if you want me to send it back to you.

mary.hartney AT baltsun.com