Thursday, October 27, 2011

TMI

“What is your email address?”

Seriously?

I was buying a greeting card at the Papyrus store in The Mall. As the sales clerk rang up my purchase, she asked for my email address.

Really?

That’s going too far. I've grown accustomed to being asked my zip code when making a credit card purchase but the email request takes this privacy intrusion to a whole new level. The last thing I want is to be on another mass email list. Already, easily eighty percent of the email I receive could be classified as junk.

I understand why the retailers want this. It’s not like it costs anything to send an email to someone. It’s basically free advertising.

“I’m not doing that,” I told her politely.

At this point she apologized and said that she had to ask the question. It was obvious to me that she liked asking this question about as much as I liked getting it.
blog comments powered by Disqus