Thursday, October 13, 2011

Tales Turns Five

Five years ago today I started this blog. Appropriately enough that day was a Friday the 13th.

The first post was actually the one and only time I’ve had a guest post. My long time friend Jim Binckley had written a letter to the editor of the Columbia Flier that the paper wouldn’t print. He was told it was too long. I read the letter and liked what he had to say so I ran it here.

And thus my blogging journey began. I have now written over 2,100 posts. I’m obviously enjoying myself.

At the blogtail party on Monday, Mickey Gomez told me she writes a blog because she enjoys writing and uses blogging as a way to “practice”. She’s right about that .I learned long ago that the best way to improve your writing is to write something everyday. Before blogs came along that usually meant keeping a journal.

I never got much satisfaction from the journal thing.  Blogging is much more interesting and fun.

When I started this blog I was inspired by the original HoCo loco bloggers, Ian Kennedy, Dave Wissing, and David Keelan. Today, a whole new breed of HoCo bloggers like HowChow, Tom Coale and Sarah Husain enriches my HoCo experience.  HoCo loco blogging has opened me to world of new writers and ideas. For that I am grateful.

I am also most grateful for those who read and comment here. You are the ones who make this better than keeping a journal. Thank you. I hope you’ll stick around for another five years…or so…
blog comments powered by Disqus