Sunday, October 31, 2010

Rallying the Troops


At the end of the HoCo Chamber political forum earlier this month, Courtney Watson enlisted me to work a poll on election day for her. I had hoped she’d forgotten but I should know better. Courtney doesn’t forget things like that.

Yesterday, a bag showed up on my doorstep with my poll working marching orders and supplies. The number one instruction was “Wear your Watson T-Shirt.” My time slot is 7:30 AM to 9:00 AM at Worthington Elementary School. Right now the forecast calls for a high of 53 degrees on Tuesday which means that at 7:30 AM it likely to be in the upper 30’s. No way I’m wearing a t-shirt.

The package also included a bottle of water. At 7:30 AM the only beverage I’ll be drinking is a nice warm cup of coffee. In fact, I’ll likely grab a box of Box of Joe from my neighborhood Dunkin Donuts, before reporting for duty. I'll share the warm beverage with the other early morning poll workers, regardless of party affiliation. Anyone who is willing to come out that early on cold fall morning to support the democratic process deserves a hot cup of coffee as far as I’m concerned.

You can tell I’m not real good at this partisan politics stuff.
blog comments powered by Disqus