Wednesday, September 12, 2012

My Contribution to the City


Back in May I got nailed by a speed camera on Caton Avenue in the city. I was cited for doing 43 mph in a 30 mph zone. This particular location defines the classic speed trap. I was nabbed as I came off the ramp from I-95, headed downhill.

I seriously considered going to court to fight this. At the very least I figured I could get a good story out of the experience.

Then again, it was only forty bucks. For forty bucks I really couldn’t justify spending the time fighting city hall.

I suspect that is figured into the equation when the city sets the amount of the fine. It seems to be working out quite well for them too. According to this story by Luke Broadwater in The Sun, Baltimore raked in “$20 million in revenue from speed cameras over the past year — a higher-than-expected figure that is sparking debate over the accuracy of the city's budget projections and whether the camera program is more a cash cow than a safety measure.”

Ya think!

Tell me again that this isn’t about the money

blog comments powered by Disqus