Monday, September 17, 2012

Ray Who?


Last Friday I took Peanut shopping on Main Street in Ellicott City. One of the first stores we stopped in was Zebop. As Peanut was looking around I struck up a conversation with the person behind the counter. “Are you excited about what Ray Rice is doing for Ellicott City,” I asked.

“Who’s Ray Rice?” she replied.

I can easily imagine that the typical profile of a Zebop shopper would not include an avid football fan. Once I explained who he was and the initiative he’s started to promote retailing in the historic district, she took a newfound interest in the Ravens star running back. “That’s cool,” she said.

Zebop has their own coolness thing going on.  As we left the store I noticed that the Zebop shopping bag appeared to be handmade from a foreign language newspaper. When we sat down to enjoy a smoothie across the street, we discovered a tag inside the bag telling the story.

“Our newspaper bags [are] made by an NGO whose main objective is to provide education and shelter to street children. This eco-friendly product is made from recycled Indian newspaper.”

Very cool.
blog comments powered by Disqus