Friday, September 23, 2011

Not So Candid Camera

Back in August I snapped this picture of a HoCo police cruiser parked at the The Mall. It was the twin cameras mounted on the trunk that grabbed my attention. Surveillance cameras have now gone mobile.

This technology has been bought to HoCo by those paranoid folks at the Department of Homeland Security. In a recent program on Frontline, Dana Priest reported that “what DHS wants to do is to turn all the state and local law enforcement personnel into the tipsters for the FBI, into the frontline foot soldiers looking for possible terrorists.”

There is a clip in the program of a similarly equipped Maryland State police cruiser demonstrating how these license plate cameras work.

A more thorough demonstration of the capability of these cameras is shown in this You Tube video.

I don't know about you but as for me, I'll never be late with a parking ticket fine again!
blog comments powered by Disqus