Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Scene This Week In…

I suppose it’s time to take down the Halloween stuff on my STW feature. I hate folks who leave holiday décor up long after the holiday passes.
 In Ellicott City I received inspiration when I dropped in for a cup of coffee at the Little French Market this morning. The historic mill town exudes that feeling of fall and this Sunday it will be on full display with the November edition of the Second Sunday Market. The monthly market does a fairly good job of presenting seasonal offerings. Since the Ravens play on Thursday this week my Sunday afternoon will be free.

Right now it looks as if the weather will hold out too.
Yesterday I attended a press conference at HoCo General Hospital for the new LIFENET system. The LIFENET system “is a state-of-the-art system that connects emergency medical service (EMS) teams and hospital personnel with emergency patient data.” It is basically an EKG with a modem that gives the hospital critical data on heart patients in advance of their arrival at the hospital. In heart attacks, time is critical to preserve heart muscle. With the LIFENET system the doctor can even review an incoming patients EKG on their smart phone.

I’ve had a little first hand experience with this.

Coincidentally, as I was driving down to EC this morning I heard another report about heart attacks on NPR’s Morning Edition. According to a recent study conducted by the University of Michigan speeding up the treatment of heart attacks has not reduced the overall survival rate.

“The study's author believes the problem is with the patient, and says educating people to recognize heart attack symptoms and getting victims the hospital faster is key.”

I did everything wrong when I had mine.

blog comments powered by Disqus