Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Smart Toast


Last night, after I got home from the HoCo Tech Council dinner, I inadvertently dropped my smart phone into the toilet. I am really at a loss to explain how this actually happened I just know that one minute it was in my hand and the next moment I was fishing it out of the toilet.

The phone was toast.

This morning I was the first customer in the door at the Verizon store in Snowden Square. Even though I was the first customer I was still told I had to cool my heels before a customer rep could assist me.

“Feel free to browse the store,” the reception person said.

I wasn’t in a particularly browsing mood. I was without a phone on a day that I could ill afford to be without a phone. I needed to get this situation rectified, quickly.

Before long Melvin Bond came up to me and offered his assistance.

“I dropped my phone in the toilet last night and I need a new phone quickly. Just grab me  a Droid X,” I told him.

“How about some screen protectors to go with that?”

“No thanks, just the phone.”

“Are you sure,” he persisted, “it’s a pretty good idea to have these.”

“I don’t like them and I don’t want them,” I replied, beginning to get slightly annoyed.

“What don’t you like about them?”

“I don’t like how they work with touch screens,” I said, trying to sound polite yet firm.

“Perhaps you didn’t install them correctly. I’d be happy to put one on for you.”

“I don’t want a screen protector Melvin. I just want the phone.” 

“How about a case? I can give you 20% off if you buy the screen protectors and the case.”

By now I’m figuring that Verizon’s got some kind of sales contest going on and Melvin is determined to start his day off strong.

The thing is, when you start off your day off having to drop a couple a hundred bucks because you dunked your phone in the toilet, accessories are the last thing you want to consider.
blog comments powered by Disqus