Tuesday, October 21, 2008

A New Hangout for Terps Fans?

I noticed this sign on the windows of the closed Tiber River Tavern on Old Columbia Road in Ellicott City today.

I asked the boys in the office what they thought a “Maryland Style Tavern” was. The consensus was that it would be a place you could get crabs and beer. And, perhaps some terrapin soup as well.

These 19th century buildings are known as Taylors Row. They were originally a collection of barns built between 1830 and 1870 for the “ livery trade.” A little over 10 years ago they were transformed into a restaurant called the Mill Town Tavern which was then replaced by the Tiber River Tavern.

The sign did not give any indication as to when one might actually enjoy a libation again in these old horse barns.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Diamondback Tavern is scheduled to open the night before Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

I was there on Thanksgiving Eve. Even though I waited about ten minutes to get in the door (it was so busy they were at capacity) I was impressed. The staff was great and everyone seemed to have a great time. And I'm pretty sure that 90 percent of the people there graduated from CHS.