Friday, October 17, 2008

Scene This Week In...

Earlier this week, this sign popped up on the corner of New Cut Road and Montgomery Road in Ellicott City. The actual property being auction is on College Avenue, about three miles from this spot.
What struck me is that this is an “absolute” auction and that includres real estate and “contents.” Many real estate auctions contain a “reserve” price which enables the seller to reject any offer that doesn’t meet that reserve price. In theory, any bidder who shows up with the $10,000 needed to bid could walk away with the whole eleven acres and even a “Corvette” for that price. In reality it will likely go for much more but one thing is certain, it will be sold by Trac Auctions on November 1st. You can get more detail on the offering here.

I had the opportunity to look at this property about year ago when it was listed with Kimberly Kepnes. As you wind down a rutted dirt road you enter into a place that more resembles Appalachia than Howard County.

It is an unfortunate sign of the times and so I decided to make it this weeks Scene In Ellicott City.

I was at the traffic light at Dobbin Road and Rouse Parkway waiting to make a left turn when I noticed this Choose Civility magnet on the car in front of me. I wondered if the upside down juxtaposition was intentional or a prank. These magnetic stickers are pretty easy to manipulate after all.

Than I wondered if it was intended to be that way, what are we to infer by it?

Seeing this also called to mind the Embrace Hostility blog that comes complete with a full line of Embrace Hostility in Howard County accessories and this “Choose Hostility in Howard County” bumper sticker that I spotted back in early August on the same road

Anyway, I snapped a quick photo before the light turned green with my trusty Sony DSC T100 and made it my Scene This Week in Columbia.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it really unfortunate that this owner will be selling the property and moving on rather than staring at a For Sale sign for months? I bet there will be a crowd out there on November 1!