Sunday, June 03, 2012

50 Shades of Loco Politico


The night before this week’s podcast I attended a concert at Merriweather and ended up staying out way too late for a work night. Consequently I wasn’t as sharp as I would have liked to be for the show. Even though Paul and I had worked through the sequence of news stories at lunch, I screwed it up at least twice. I even forgot to do the show closing.

Even with my missteps I think it was a pretty good show. Alice Giles, our guest, is sharp and funny. The HoCo League of Women’s Voters is lucky to have her as a spokesperson. She’s almost convinced me to become a member. I just have to get over that name thing. That isn’t a problem for Calvin Ball or Greg Fox, who are both members. Ken Ulman, on the other hand, isn’t.

And speaking of Calvin, in the loco news recap portion of the podcast we tossed around his legislative initiative to extend the term limits for council members. Paul suggested that extending the term limits would create a sort of parking lot for loco politico ambitions. If a certain councilperson decided that they wanted to sit out the next county executive race to wait for the next election cycle, they would theoretically be able to continue serving on the council while awaiting their shot.

At the end of the show we decided to randomly stop shoppers in The Mall and ask them about the banning of 50 Shades of Grey in public libraries. This is always a fun thing to do and I’d like to thank the four folks who agreed to be part of it. For everyone we asked who agreed at least one other said no. We promised all of them anonymity.

You can listen to the latest edition of “and then there’s that…” here.
blog comments powered by Disqus