Saturday, June 02, 2012

That Was Close

Yesterday around 4:30 PM, as I sat at the traffic light at Bloomsbury Avenue and Frederick Road in Catonsville, the sky suddenly darkened as the intensity of the rain increased. My smartphone chirped signaling a new email message just as the light turned green.

I decided to concentrate instead on maneuvering through streets that were quickly becoming flooded as storm drains struggled to handle the torrential downpour.
I had almost made it home when I encountered a newly fallen tree blocking my passage on New Cut Road in Ellicott City.

A u-turn and minor detour finally bought me to the shelter of my garage. As turned off the engine, I picked up my phone to check the message that came in earlier. It was from Notify Me Howard warning me that conditions were ripe for a tornado in Catonsville.

“Take cover now. Move to an interior room or the lowest floor of a sturdy building and avoid windows. If outdoors or in a mobile home or vehicle…move to the closest substantial shelter and protect yourself from flying debris.”

That was close.
blog comments powered by Disqus