Thursday, April 29, 2010

Dream Car

When I was a young lad the car of my dreams was the Jaguar XKE. There was just something intoxicating about that long sleek hood and that tapered cockpit.

Yesterday, when I stopped by the Safeway in the Enchanted Forest Shopping Center I spotted this well preserved beauty in the parking lot.
This morning I told my colleague Bill Harrison about this. He’s a big car guy. Bill shared a story about a neighbor of his who actually owned one. The neighbor laughed when Bill told him how he too always loved that car and then told Bill that “the only problem was that I could never take it out in the rain. When the ignition system got wet it wouldn’t start.”

That reminded me of an old joke I heard from a mechanic who worked exclusively on British cars. Why don’t the British make televisions?

They can’t figure out how to make them leak.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

To the tune of Lemon Tree:

When I was just a lad of 10
My Father said to me
Forget driving lemons, my son
Get the Jaguar XKE

Eludius said...

I heard that Jaguars are many people's favorite car to have once owned.

PZGURU said...

That's a beauty! Was it for sale? That model Jag and the gull-wing mercedes (1954?) are my top two classic cars.

wordbones said...

pzg,

Though rare, it's still nice when we agree on something.

fm,

what can I say...I was young and foolish...

-wb

PZGURU said...

True.
I just wish my wallet matched my tastes for classic cars. Until then, I will have to settle for match box versions.

Anonymous said...

I had one of these in high school.

Let's get our hands dirty.

Beautiful car. Got garage space?

BTW...now I drive a honda...albeit and Si Mod....

Anonymous said...

Yep, great car, if you don't need to get to work on time, and you want to learn some more about mechanical engineering.

Simon Schempp said...

Ooh, yeah, that's an awesome choice for a dream car. That long hood simply boosts the style on that baby! Haha, it's good that you saw one up close, too. That one's a real beauty.

Heh, the joke was pretty funny too.