Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Back to Blogdom

Now that the Thanksgiving holiday is behind me and with Christmas bearing down on me like a diving Dow, I can get back in the swing of posting here.

The big news, reported in the blogs first by Dan over at Columbia Talk, is the second armed robbery in Clarksville this fall. This time the target was the Pizza Hut. The only thing I have to add to what has already been reported is a comment I heard secondhand from the franchise owner, John Schultze. John is reportedly upset with both the police and the press for reporting that the employees used a cell phone to call 911 from inside the locked freezer. John apparently believes that by divulging this bit of information the press has given a heads up to all future armed robbers to check their victims for cell phones before leaving the scene. I happen to agree with him.

Also reported by Columbia Talk is the upcoming Midnight Madness shopping event in the historic district of Ellicott City this Friday. Stores and restaurants will be open until midnight as well as the B&O Railroad Museum. The B&O Railroad Museum is currently showcasing its Holiday Festival of Trains. The county has suspended parking fees in the historic from now until the end of the year.

This weekend might be a good time to check out the new Diamondback Tavern which opened last week. The tavern is located in the space formerly occupied by the Tiber River Tavern on Old Columbia Road just up the hill from Main Street.

Ah, it’s good to be back.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I doubt it is worth the time for a criminal to check for cell phones. Better to assume that the police are already on the way and get in the wind as soon as possible.

Anonymous said...

I thought the very same thing - why tell literate future robbers about this? Will word get to the nonliterate bunch?

My thoughts diverged from yours where the robbers 'took the cell phones'. I would think they'd take more drastic action - which I won't say here in the event that robbers are not only literate, but interested in local issues.

You never know. Just horrible.

Anonymous said...

welcome back wb
hh