Wednesday, November 07, 2012

The Afternoon After


I slept in this morning. I was among the last to leave the Isle of Sanity last night and it was well after midnight before I climbed into bed. By design I did not have any appointments scheduled for this morning.

First of all, I want to thank Matt Milani for hosting our nonpartisan election party. All through the evening he bought out special appetizers for the dozen or so attendees and even took the time to share the story of the ghost that inhabits his restaurant. Second of all I’d like to acknowledge Tom Coale, Mickey Gomez, Jesse Newburn and Dave Bittner for keeping the election night tradition going. All four were part of the original group in 2010 at Clyde’s. I also want to thank the folks who joined us for the first time. It seemed like everyone was having a good time and there was more laughter than heated political discussion. It was my kind of election night party.

I would also be remiss if I did not acknowledge the Twitter feeds of Sara Toth (@SaraAToth) , Luke Lavoie (@LukeHoCoTimes) and Andrew Metcalf (@ColumbiaPatch). The old stone walls at The Rumor Mill made the wi-fi signal spotty at best but thanks to Sara, Luke and Andrew we were able to stay on top of the school board race. Local news coverage was alive and well last night.

I was a little disappointed in the school board results. Since the primary I got to know David Gertler pretty well. He is the type of person you want in elective office, smart, insightful and funny. On the other hand, David doesn't possess a “take no prisoners” political instinct and that probably hurt him in this race. I sincerely hope he stays involved in some capacity. He has much to offer to our community.

Now it’s time to get back to reality
blog comments powered by Disqus