Thursday, July 23, 2009

Scene This Week In...

On my way to the county council public hearing on Monday evening I spotted three young bucks grazing on the hill by the new Glen Mar Church in Ellicott City. Fortunately there was no other traffic on the road so I was able to stop and snap a few photos. The deer in our midst have become highly adapted to suburban life and are in fact thriving in the absence of their natural predators. They really seem to enjoy the new day lilies that Mama Wordbones planted this spring.

Earlier that same day I dropped into the Lakeside Coffee Shop in Town Center for what I thought would be a quick cup of coffee. As soon as I walked in the door I ran into Jud Malone, who heads up Columbia Tomorrow. I took the opportunity to trade notes with Jud on the local political scene. As I was getting ready to leave, Mike Davis and Jeff Agnor, partners in the local law firm of Davis Agnor Rapaport & Skalny, came into the café with two other attorneys from their office and this lead to even more discussion about local politics.

This seems to happen all the time at Lakeside. No matter which side of the political spectrum you lean towards, the chances are pretty good that, on any given day, more local politics will be discussed and debated in this little coffee shop than anywhere else in Howard County.

3 comments:

Bob O said...

Yep, I think the only natural predator of deer that remains in Howard County is the automobile.

Wait...let me get my shotgun....

Anonymous said...

great picture (deer).. where's my gun?

Developers and Evil County Strike Again! said...

Help! Someone alert Barbara Russell! They're cutting down a MATURE tree in town center! The county is doing it! Town center will never be the same. Sure, the tree is dead, but that can only be blamed on WCI's vacant lot not 100 feet from the tree.

Where's SuperBabs when you need her? Trees are dying, being cut down, and being chipped into mulch!