Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Its Back!

The poinsettia tree is going back up in the center court of The Mall in Columbia. After it’s banishment into the cold as part of the Symphony of Lights at Merriweather Post Pavilion last year (sans poinsettias), the Columbia holiday tradition is returning to its rightful place.

To be honest, I didn’t think this would ever happen. Even when Claire Lea, Sandy Carbotti and Janet Shinski organized a quiet protest demonstration over its removal, I didn’t think there was much chance that it would ever come back.

Thankfully I was wrong.

You can find the posts about last years protest here and here.

3 comments:

Mike Milligan said...

Fantastic!!!

Anonymous said...

wait a minute.
Isn't the year of "change"
Why should we have the tree back when it stands for the best of tradition in Columbia. I'm surprised that the year of "change" will mean more of the same.
Regardless, I'm glad that the poinsetta tree is back. I wasn't for "change" anyway.
HH

Anonymous said...

I love seeing the tree without the poinsettias. Very cool.