Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election Day Line Etiquette

As I stood in line waiting to vote this morning I chatted up the folks around me like I normally do. The topics we discussed ranged from the waiting time (it wasn’t bad at 10 AM at my polling place) to the Redskins loss to the Steelers last night. Notably omitted was any discussion of politics.

Apparently this is quite common. As I drove to the office I was listening to The Diane Rehm Show on WAMU. She was taking calls from people all around the country sharing their voting day experiences. Those who said they spoke with others while standing in line also said that they spoke about everything but politics. Maybe we are a more civil people than it sometimes appears.

And doesn’t it just figure, the one time I actually rooted for the Redskins they had to go and blow it.

2 comments:

Scott said...

Great game (for us Steelers fans).. amazing how many terrible towels where in attendance....

on the way out... sat on the bus (going to my car) for over an hour...talk about very poor transportation planning... attended a Ravens game earlier this year... in my car on on 95 within 20 minutes of leaving the stadium...

Anonymous said...

Voted at Howard Community College at 10AM this morning and there may have been 2000 cars in the parking lot(students) and 10 people at the polling place when I voted. Quality experience. My congratulations to the volunteers who moved the voters through the process.
HH