Sunday, February 03, 2013

Koffee Kups


It’s no secret that I am a coffee lover. Some might consider it more of an addiction than a love affair. In any event, over the years I've gone through a progression of coffee grinders and coffee machines. More recently I’d relegated those machines to storage opting instead for a daily visit to a coffee shop or two. The reason for this shift was that I seldom finished a whole pot of coffee at home. Mama Wordbones does not enjoy caffeine so she would never share the pot I brewed which resulted in half the pot going down the drain.

The only problem with the coffee shop strategy was that I couldn't get my java jolt before leaving the house. On days with inclement weather it was particularly troublesome.

No longer. For Christmas Mama Wordbones gave me a K-cup coffee maker. According to this report by Rhoda Miel in Plastics News, as of last April single cup coffee makers “have gone from 4 percent of the U.S. market in 2010 to 12 percent.”

“While automatic-drip coffee makers like those sold under the Mr. Coffee brand name are still the most popular in the U.S., holding 39 percent of the market today, their share is slowly shrinking, while the one-cup format is on the way up.

“It’s just growing,” said Robert Vu, a Houston-based creator of Solofill LLC. “Everybody has to have a one-cup [system] these days,” he said.”
blog comments powered by Disqus