Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Scene This Week In...

I try to carry my camera with me everywhere. It’s a slick little number that fits neatly into any pocket. This results in being presented with a greater number of photo opportunities.

I was walking down the steps towards Clyde’s yesterday when this black squirrel shoots out across the walk. He’s got a big old nut stuffed in his jaws. I thought, “Dam! I wished I had gotten a picture of that little bugger.” No sooner had that thought passed through my brain than the little bugger reappeared, less than four feet away with the nut still in the jaws. I think he was so proud of his large nut that he wanted me to take his picture.

What struck about this picture was the lack of cars in the parking lot. Go by the Worthington “Dog” Park anytime of the day and you are bound to see AT LEAST one car. Worthington Park is actually a collection of three separate fenced dog runs. Two are currently in operation while the third is undergoing turf repair. One of the runs is set aside for small and more “gentle” dogs while the other is dedicated to serving the more rambunctious canines. The park is located on Hillsborough Road just off New Cut Road in Ellicott City. It is a pretty happening place for dog people.

I have always wondered why there isn’t a dog park in Columbia. I can think of one area that would be perfect, the abandoned road bed of the old North Entrance Road in Town Center.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tried to get a picture of that little guy last week. Alas, he was much too squirrely and kept taking refuge in the hedgerow.

Anonymous said...

One time last summer I was jogging past Tomato Palace, and I saw a black snake sprawled out across the walk way in front of the outdoor dining tables at TP. The TP manager and some onlookers were trying to "shoo" it away. It was a pretty funny scene, I would have like to have had a camera. I just hope the poor snake didn't wind up on the menu...