Friday, October 26, 2012

Frankenstorm


My gray hair has led me to become suspect of storm hype in Maryland. I still harbor memories of high school homework deferred, relying on the certainty of our loco meteorologists predicting an approaching storm. The weather professionals would always add “expect school closings and/or delays.” 

I counted on them only to awake to clear skies and business as usual. They failed me. If you've lived in Maryland for any amount of time, they've likely failed you too.

Oddly, as often as not, it is the storms that they don’t call that hit us hardest. Nobody seemed to see that Derecho thing coming four months ago. I challenge anyone to identify a loco meteorologist who even uttered the word “derecho” in a forecast before June 28th.

With this in mind, I ponder the warning of the predicted collision of Hurricane Sandy and a classic nor'easter right smack dab over our heads beginning this Sunday, with some trepidation. Right now my Weather Station wordbones (WSw) is showing a tendency towards high pressure and clear skies. Admittedly my meteorological horizon is more limited than the big picture guys with the serious storm hardware. Those are guys are calling this impending weather event, “Frankenstorm.

You have to admit that this is a pretty cool name for a storm. This could potentially be one for the books. Forget trick or treating this year. We’re battling a real monster this Halloween!

As of 8:36 this morning, Foot’s Forecast had this to say about Frankenstorm in their posting on Facebook:

“Although the effects of Hurricane Sandy may not reach Maryland until Sunday, it is expected to be a long duration event. If the storm reaches the Delmarva coast as projected, it would produce winds e
qual to or greater than what we all observed with Irene. Impacts would be felt from the New Jersey coast to Norfolk.

From Ocean City to the Baltimore Metro area, sustained tropical storm force winds for a 24 hour period with higher gusts is not impossible, if there is a slow-moving system is crossing the state from east to west.”

I have a lot of respect for the accuracy of the Foots folks. I’m a Foots fan.

Prudence suggests proper preparations; water, check, flashlights with batteries, check, wine, check.

We’ll be ready at WSw. As long as I have service I’ll post about the readings of my little loco snapshot of the storms progress. If there are other HoCo loco weather geeks out there with their own set ups who feel like sharing, drop me an email at wordbones@verizon.net. Send pictures too, if you’d like. I’ll put up as much as I can. 

Right now WSw is reporting a temperature of 61.2 degrees, 85% humidity, and pressure at 29.91inHg. Calm.

In the meantime, check those batteries.
blog comments powered by Disqus