Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

To set a proper tone for this day of all things Irish I offer a story from this Sunday’s New York Times Magazine. It is an Irish tale, complete with an ailing mother, a starving widow, mermaids and scoundrels.


In honor of the patron saint of Ireland, our office will likely close around noon today. I expect, at some point in the day, to stop by Clyde’s. They have put on a pretty good St. Patrick’s Day celebration for as long as I can remember. I was four years out of college when I picked up this button. I know some folks in town have Clyde’s “Irish Power” buttons that are even older.

So…,if anyone comes up to me at Clyde’s today wearing a button older than this one, I’ll buy you a drink.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!


Anonymous said...

great story, thanks

Anonymous said...

Did anyone have an older pin?

wordbones said...

Alas no.

The closest anyone came was 1984. I bought them a drink anyway.

I did learn that the first year they were issued was 1975. Nobody I spoke with, including the bartenders, had ever seen a '75.

I'm on the hunt. I figure I have a whole year to track one down.


Anonymous said...

You wouldn't happen to have an extra 2000 would you? It's the only one I'm missing from 1981 to 2012. It's worth quite a few beers if you can hook me up. Email me at