Monday, March 17, 2008

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

To set a proper tone for this day of all things Irish I offer a story from this Sunday’s New York Times Magazine. It is an Irish tale, complete with an ailing mother, a starving widow, mermaids and scoundrels.

Cheers!

In honor of the patron saint of Ireland, our office will likely close around noon today. I expect, at some point in the day, to stop by Clyde’s. They have put on a pretty good St. Patrick’s Day celebration for as long as I can remember. I was four years out of college when I picked up this button. I know some folks in town have Clyde’s “Irish Power” buttons that are even older.

So…,if anyone comes up to me at Clyde’s today wearing a button older than this one, I’ll buy you a drink.

Happy St. Patrick’s Day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

great story, thanks

Anonymous said...

Did anyone have an older pin?

wordbones said...

Alas no.

The closest anyone came was 1984. I bought them a drink anyway.

I did learn that the first year they were issued was 1975. Nobody I spoke with, including the bartenders, had ever seen a '75.

I'm on the hunt. I figure I have a whole year to track one down.

-wb

Anonymous said...

You wouldn't happen to have an extra 2000 would you? It's the only one I'm missing from 1981 to 2012. It's worth quite a few beers if you can hook me up. Email me at cjcallender1@aol.com