Friday, September 14, 2007

The Ninja Cyclist

I have to admit that I was a bit floored when I found out that the Columbia Bicycle guy has a Facebook fan site with a thousand or so members. I've seen this guy all over Columbia. He has even been spotted in the county seat. Thanks to Jessie, I now have a name to attach to our prolific peddler. He is Athtar.

This, along with an anonymous comment posted on Hayduke's blog, got me thinking about Columbia's original prolific peddle pusher, the "Ninja Cyclist."

Around eight years or so ago I was hooked up with a local group of cyclists. We'd gather for a regular Sunday ride out on in western Howard County. We actually had a group name too. We called ourselves the Howard County Road Surfers.

Anyway...

After our rides we'd hang out for a bit and every once in awhile someone would bring up the Ninja cyclist. We had all seen the Ninja cyclist around not only Columbia but in Ellicott City as well. One time I saw NC standing against the inside guard rail at the merge of Route 29 and Route 40. That is not exactly a fun place to be on a bicycle.

Everyone agreed that NC was an accomplished rider and most of us had witnessed the black rider doing some very trick moves.

Rumors abounded. A bike mechanic at Princeton Sports told one of our group that NC was a transsexual. Another of our group said they heard that NC was a fashion designer.

Whether either of those two things are true or not I think it is safe to say that our NC is a little different. I once sat two stools away from NC at the bar in Clyde's. NC was dressed entirely in black. including a black baseball hat with a BMW logo. NC even wore black gloves while eating dinner. I attempted conversation but NC didn't exactly warm to me. Though I often have that effect on people I still suspect that NC is not as approachable as Athar.

I have not seen NC for some time now. I hope all is well. I consider this person to be part of our quirky local scene and I would be sad to find out if that is no longer so.

17 comments:

Jessie Newburn said...

NC is around. Just not on her bike as much.

Unknown said...

Last week I saw her on 175 at Tamar going west. What is the story, I would love to know. My friends and I always update each other on the latest sightings.
But it is the stories of Athtar are always fun.

Anonymous said...

I saw Ninja Cyclist last week and she scared the hell out of my daughter. I'd like to know the story as well!

Jessie Newburn said...

NC was in a car-bike accident once and got a bit mangled. She wears a lot of protective gear when biking, including on her face. Also, the face mask and coverings help protect her skin against the wind damage and road grit.

Jessie Newburn said...

As an official member of "The Columbia Bike Guy Fan Club" on Facebook, I'd like to correct a small, but significant, typo in your post here, wb: TCBG's name is Athar, and not Athtar, as you wrote.

wordbones said...

Jessie,

Thanks for heads up on the typo!

-wb

Anonymous said...

I've become fascinated with her, my fiance' and his brother have seen her riding for the past 12+ years, and now my sister-in-law and i have joined the "fan club" we see her riding all the time, i too saw her resting on the guard rail at 175 and dobbin. we pulled over and attempted to talk, get an autograph, anything. she pulled the cloth further over her face, waved in response to my wave, and sped off. my fiance says she doesn't seem to have aged at all! we're not obsessed in a creepy "im-gonna-kill-you" fashion, it's just, i don't know. so intriguing. anyway ...we're glad we're not alone. By the way, we tried looking up her bike, BMW Spin, and couldn't find any info on where to get them , cost, it's like it didn't exist acbstyles@aol.com

Anonymous said...

Seems like people here are confusing The Columbia Bike Guy and The Cat Woman. They are two different people.

Anonymous said...

Saw her just last week. Rode by and waved and she ignored me. Which is what I'd probably do if I were her.

Anonymous said...

Was out cycling yesterday (Nov. 8 09) around Lake Elkhorn and NC RIPPED by me. She has added some flashing red lights to the back of her bike and, as I recall from the blur, her helmet. All is well with NC...

Anonymous said...

Yes, I saw her a couple of months ago on Broken Land Parkway heading west towards the mall.

Unknown said...

I have photographed the elusive Ninja bicyclist. I will post the photos soon once I get them off the camera.

J. Carlos Cysneiros said...

I saw the Ninja Biker on Friday, 07/09/2010 on Little Patuxent Pkw going to the Mall. I hadn't seen it in a while. She/He looks likes she gained a bit of weigh. I tried to take a picture of him/her while driving but run over the curb and almost blew a tire. Be aware of the powers of the Ninja Biker.

Unknown said...

Wow ... I remember her from back in 2000. Very distracting. :-)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I spotted the bike ninja this evening about 6:30 heading East on 175 at the intersection of Tamar drive. What is the real story?

Anonymous said...

Any new sightings?