Saturday, August 13, 2011

The Allen Dyer Interview


When we decided to have embattled school board member Allen Dyer on the podcast I knew the end result would be mixed. Those who abhor his quixotic legal shenanigans would likely think that we were too easy on him while some of his supporters would also find fault.

In retrospect, I think we found a middle ground. It was the first time either Paul or I had sat and talked to the man. Afterwards, Paul told me he actually empathized with some of his legal arguments. My opinion of his tactics on the other hand, remains largely the same. I think Allen sincerely believes he is smarter than the other people on the school board and that what he is doing is his moral and ethical obligation. A wise barber once told me that it is unwise to argue with a fanatic. I would categorize Allen Dyer as a fanatic. Arguing with him on the podcast would achieve nothing. Letting him talk would expose his true character.

That being said, it would be unwise to call him stupid. He’s smart, just not as smart as he thinks.

There was a funny moment when he called out the four other members of the school board as being Democrats. I think his board member allies, Brian Meshkin and Cindy Vaillancourt, might be a bit surprised by this.

You can listen to the 46th episode of “and then there’ s that…” here.
blog comments powered by Disqus