Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Early Birds


I like going down to the Town Center lakefront before the festivities get started on July 4th. The Columbia Association allows folks to start claiming a spot for the fireworks at 8:00 AM and by 1:30 PM the area has become a colorful mosaic of blankets and tarps.

Late arrivals discovered that finding an opening amidst this sea of blankets required all the concentration of a game of scrabble.
While most people stake out a spot with plans to return later others, like Brittany and Isaac Saunders Sr, make a day out of it with their family. Isaac told me they set up camp at noon today, even though the action didn’t get started until three. “We live just down the street from here,” he told me.
Brittany said they’ve come back to this same spot for a couple years now.

When asked Isaac if I could take a picture of his family for To2C, he seized the opportunity to promote his photography business. He also let me know that his wife was a writer in case I needed any help with the blog. I thanked him for the offer but informed him that this was pretty much a one man operation.

Early today, there was some talk of cancelling tonight’s celebration due to concerns about the possibility of another severe storm. As I was heading back to my car I received a text from Notify Me Howard that the show will go on tonight.


blog comments powered by Disqus