Thursday, June 07, 2012

Summer Book List(s)

Back in my primary school days I remember being given a summer reading list on the last day of school. Back then spending any of those precious lazy days of summer with my nose in book was very low on my to-do list. It was only through parental dictates that the list was cracked at all.

Nowadays reading a good book is one of my favorite summer pastimes and I find myself seeking out summer reading lists, particularly now that I find myself between books. Having just finished and thoroughly enjoying the Steve Jobs biography by Walter Isaacson, I’m hoping to find something that will keep me similarly engaged. The problem is that there are almost too many choices. I’ve poured through the NY Times Book Review, The Washington Post Style Section and the HoCo Library website. I’ve downloaded samples of books on my Nook and taken them for test run, including Fifty Shades of Grey. Yesterday I checked out what some national politicos are reading in this list in The Washington Post; Barbara Mikulski is reading Cleopatra, Chris Matthews is reading “They Eat Puppies Don’t They” and Virginia Guv, Robert McDonnell is reading one of the books on my short list, "Washington:A Life.” I’m a little partial to biographies too. The guv and I apparently share that.

The good news is that my list is finally narrowing and I’ll likely make my first summer reading pick today or tomorrow.

The Post also had an article by Michael Rosenwald about e-readers and summer reading pointing out that “sand and electronics are not best friends.”

“I shouldn’t have to point this out, but I will: You might be able to continue reading from a printed book that accidentally takes a dip in the ocean, but a waterlogged e-reader is as unusable as an empty tube of suntan oil.”

What are you reading this summer?
blog comments powered by Disqus