Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Happy Veterans Day!

So how come this federal holiday is not part of a three day weekend?

It’s because the origins of the holiday go back to the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month when the armistice was signed between the Allies and Germany in 1918 at the end of the First World War.

It was briefly homogenized by Congress into a three day weekend in 1968 but changed back to the 11th day of the 11th month in 1978.

You can find the historical timeline here.

2 comments:

TDubs said...

I see your proper use of the poppy flower at the top of this piece.

Being a fine man of Irish decent, I am sure you are aware that this is the British symbol for "Rememberance Day" in the UK.

The Republic and many parts of Ulster celebrate a National Day of Commemoration in July.

Little children, raising money for charity, work door to door selling plastic poppy's to be worn on Remmberance Day. It is interesting to see politicians, newscasters, orangeman and many others wearing these simple symbols on this day. It would be nice to see Americans showing thanks on 11/11.

My relations in Ulster would contribute to the charity, but would not be seen wearing the poppy. They look forward to the Easter Lily.

I look forward to the lily in your Easter blog.

Anonymous said...

I think Veterans Day is a super day to celebrate regardless of when it is.
What makes me mad is I can't get my mail. Why does every holiday have to be a day off for federal employees...particularly the post office. I think the post office should be open every day of the year whether they get the mail in the correct mail boxes or not.
HH