Sunday, March 20, 2011

Max Needs a Home

Yesterday we bundled up all of Mars remaining pet meds, dog food, toys, bowls and leash and took them to the Howard County Animal Welfare Society on Davis Road in Columbia. Mama Wordbones had done the same thing after Lucky passed on last year.

The folks at the shelter were happy to receive them.

After handing over the supplies, Peanut and I lingered for awhile to check out the menangerie of pets. There were dogs of course along with cats, ducks, rabbits and a couple of chickens.

As we were getting ready to leave a large yellow lad bounded up to the fence. I definitely have a soft spot in my heart for labs so we circled back and asked if we could visit for a moment for the big guy.

We were told his name was Max and that he had been given up by his former owner who was no longer able to care for him due to disabilities. Prior to arriving at the shelter Max was underweight and had been chewing on his own paws. Since arriving his paws have begun to heal and he has regained some weight.

Unfortunately, I am not ready to bring on another dog right now but if I were I’m pretty certain that Max would have gone home with us. He is a sweet big guy and he melted against me as I scratched his ears. Michelle, the worker at the shelter, told me she thinks that Max is about four years old. This would be a great dog for a family.
blog comments powered by Disqus