Sunday, April 18, 2010

SHA Goes Out on a Limb for HoCo

The State Highway Administration is planting more than 6,300 trees along state highways in Howard County this spring. According to this story on WJZ.com, “SHA crews prepared planting sites along I-95, I-70, MD 100, MD 216 and MD 32 for upcoming tree plantings.”

“The plantings are over and above required mitigation and part of the One Million Trees effort which has a goal of planting one million trees by 2011. By July, SHA will have contributed to the planting of more than 404,700 trees toward the initiative. The tree plantings in Howard County are funded through the Transportation Enhancement Program (TEP), which funds non-traditional, community-based transportation-related projects.”

That makes a pretty nice Earth Day gift for HoCo.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

And, how much do each of these trees cost me, as a taxpayer?

Don't get me wrong. I plant trees all the time. For every one I cut down, I try to plant three more.

I'm just thinking that in times of tight state and county budgets, this might not be the best way to spend money.

Then again...it might be, if we take the money from someting like a failed program like Healthy Howard.