Thursday, September 18, 2008

Looney’s Pub Coming to Columbia?

This morning I received an email from a broker representing Looney’s Pub in Canton. The Irish pub is looking for a new location in Columbia. They are looking for locations of 7,000 to 10,000 square feet that offer “strong daytime and evening populations.”

The former Rocky Run location immediately comes to mind.

It won’t be the first time a Baltimore pub has tapped into the Columbia scene. Last year the Dog Pub in Federal Hill took over the former Hard Times Café location on Dobbin Road and opened Pub Dog.

I wonder if these establishments are simply following their young clientele as they move from urban singles to young families seeking good schools.

UPDATE March 16, 2009: Well they didn't exactly land in Columbia but Looney's Pub is now open in the space formerly occupied by Trapeze in Maple Lawn, just in time for this years St. Patricks Day celebrations!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My daughter and her boyfriend adore Pub Dog. I'd like it better if it weren't so loud! Love the pizza and the beer, hate feeling old, somehow, when I go there.

wordbones said...

macsmom,
I hear ya on both counts...the pizza and the feeling old thing.
-wb

Anonymous said...

I wish there was a way to take better advantage of the energy around Dobbin Starbucks. I go there often, but there is no vibe in the strip mall, to me. I barely notice the other stores.

Often, when at Dobbin Starbucks, I want to eat something substantial, and to this day, Fuddrucker's has never appealed as a viable option. Wouldn't it be something if the Rocky Run space could somehow open up to and connect in a friendly open space sort of way to the energy of the Dobbin Starbucks.

Clearly, I ain't an engineer, architect or whatever. I'm not even saying this is physically possible and arguing that it should be done. I'm just noticing that there is a clear vibe of youthful energy around the Dobbin Starbucks and it would be an interesting exercise to find a way to work with that.

After all, Dobbin is the real downtown of Columbia. We might as well work with it. ;-)